Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Finding Motivation

Nine weeks into the semester, midterms are in the rearview mirror, and it's about that time to start thinking finals.   They're still six weeks away, so that may seem premature, that is, until you learn that those tests count for anywhere from 70% to 90% of the grade in any given class.  They are what the whole semester has been building towards.

So I'm looking at class preparation with the exam in mind, doing my best to keep the big picture in view, and asking questions like, "what in this day's discussion and reading is going to be tested, and what might that look like?"

To be honest, this also means I'm less motivated to read cases with the vigor that I brought to them in the first few weeks of the term.  Being able to read them faster also makes me more likely to skim as I go.

So I've brought a motivational speaker into my inner monologue.  Instead of "punch the keys", though, his opening line is "read the cases" (which I imagine is followed by something like, breathe in the facts, let the judges speak to you).

And every so often, when the day's work is done, I hear those cherished words, "you're the man now, dog."

No comments:

Post a Comment